Buying and Selling Real Estate
As your real estate lawyer, we act as your trusted advisor to ensure you are able to buy or sell a property without issues. It is our responsibility to confirm important details and advise you on the best course of action.
What to expect from us:
- We will review your Agreement of Purchase and Sale
- We will complete a title search and obtain title insurance
- Notification of change of ownership regarding municipal taxes
- We will prepare and verify all mortgage documents and explain the terms of your mortgage
- Verify the statement of adjustments to ensure that you are paying only your share of the taxes, utility and fuel bills, and other costs that have been prepaid by the seller
- Ensure that you have home insurance in place as of the closing date
- Hold your closing funds in trust and transfer them to the vendor to ensure the home purchase closes; and
- Arrange for you to receive the keys on the closing day
- We will always be available and responsive throughout the process
Important things to know:
Adjustments represent items already prepaid beyond the closing date by the seller. These prepaid items are credited to the seller as an adjustment on closing.
Common adjustments on a resale home include property taxes, condominium fees and fuel oil if the home is heated with oil.
On a new home purchased from a builder, closing adjustments can include hydro/water meter installation costs and the Tarion home warranty enrolment fee. These items are not typically adjusted on resale homes.
Title Insurance provides protection against title defects, survey issues, liens, work orders, fraud and forgery.
Purchasing home requires that you have adequate home/fire insurance. It is important that your insurance agent provide us with an insurance binder prior to closing.
Meeting Your Lawyer
The first step will always be to complete our detailed questionnaire. From there, we will be in touch to clarify items and give you a chance to ask any questions you may have.
We will meet in person at our office a few days prior to your closing date. Instructions will be provided prior to the meeting to ensure everything is in order to take possession of your new property on time.
Looking for a top rated real estate lawyer? We have you covered.
The level of professionalism that Janice and Stéphane provide is unbeatable. I never need to worry about a thing when dealing with them as they always get the job done and exceed my expectations. They always answer/reply to all my calls and emails in a very timely manner.
Stephane is an amazing lawyer! He helped us out when we were buying our first house. He was very patient with all the questions I had and got all of our documents ready really quickly. He is very professional and knowledgeable. This ended up a very easy experience for us with his help so since then he is been our go-to lawyer. Thank you so much 🙂
As a military couple, Stephane was very easy to work with and made the BGRS system almost simple. I would highly recommend Stephane for those seeking personable, knowledgeable and expedient legal services.
Let's Work Together
1-2035 Lanthier Dr, Ottawa, ON
291 Olmstead Street, Ottawa, ON